Seven Alarming Facts
1. Trafficking primarily involves exploitation which comes in many forms, including: forcing victims into prostitution, subjecting victims to slavery or involuntary servitude and compelling victims to commit sex acts for the purpose of creating pornography.
2. According to some estimates, approximately 80% of trafficking involves sexual exploitation, and 19% involves labor exploitation.
3. There are approximately 20 to 30 million slaves in the world today.
4. According to the U.S. State Department, 600,000 to 800,000 people are trafficked across international borders every year. More than 70% are female and half are children.
5. The average age a teen enters the sex trade in the U.S. is 12 to 14-year-old. Many victims are runaway girls who were sexually abused as children.
6. Between 14,500 and 17,500 people are trafficked into the U.S. each year.
7. Human trafficking is the third largest international crime industry (behind illegal drugs and arms trafficking). It reportedly generates a profit of $32 billion every year. Of that number, $15.5 billion is made in industrialized countries.